Probably the best pumpkin bread I’ve had in my life.
prep time: 15 min
cook time: 1 hr
yields: 3-4 loaves
3 cups white sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree*
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tablespoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (I like a few more)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F*. Grease and flour three 9×5 inch loaf pans. Or four 8×3.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
3. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
4. Fold in chocolate chops and nuts.
5. Evenly distribute among loaf pans.
6. Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool before removing from pans.
A little extra pumpkin doesn’t hurt if you have it on hand but it isn’t necessary to the recipe.
I had to turn my stove down from 350 to 325 to cook this bread in a gas oven.