prep time: 10-15 minutes
cook time: 2-3 hours
What You’ll Need
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1-2 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
7 cups non-fat milk (2% or whole is your choice)
marshmallows and candy canes for garnish
Mix It Up
1. Combine the dry ingredients into your crockpot and stir with a spoon.
2. Add the milk, a cup at a time, and stir well.
3. Squeeze in a half-cup of chocolate sauce, and add the peppermint extract. Stir well.
4. The chocolatey mixture will be bubbly and look powdery. It’s okay—it will cook together.
5. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until completely hot. Serve with marshmallows and candy canes.
6. If serving to guests, keep the pot on low with the lid off, and provide a ladle. (If kept on warm, the hot chocolate will not stay warm enough.)
1. You can leave out the peppermint for plain yummy hot chocolate or try some pumpkin spice instead.
2. For a Mocha: Pour the cooked hot chocolate over a shot of espresso or a half-cup of very strong coffee
3. For an Adult Drink: Omit the peppermint extract and pour the hot chocolate over a shot of Peppermint Schnapps.