I haven’t made these before but what an idea. I stumbled upon this idea at Mommy Savers but I’m not sure I love her recipe over the one we’ve been making for years but if you are allergic to peanuts then Mommy Savers is good. Plus, I think the idea of these is to decorate them how you would like them. I could really see having several different options all laid out and then decorating them all differently. It is just like decorating Christmas or Gingerbread cookies. You don’t need to make them the same.
So with this you might want to think out the different items you will need but here are some basics:
What You Need:
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 large package of small marshmallow
2 cups crunchy peanut butter
3 tsp butter
Holiday-colored sugar sprinkles or jimmies
Mix It Up
- In a non-stick sauce pan or double boiler, melt butter, peanut butter and marshmallows.
- In a mixing bowl, and your Rice Krispies. (This is where I add M&Ms to my cookies but you could add a different candy to make it look like there is more to the ornaments or leave them empty)
- When marshmallow mixture is all melted smoothly, dump onto cereal and mix well, coating all of the cereal.
- Mommy Saver recommends putting butter on your hands for the balling of the ornaments so we’ll go with that.
- Make tightly packed round balls and then quickly roll them into the colored sugar sprinkles.
- Set them aside until you’ve finished all your ornament balls.
Now let’s decorate our ornaments…
Mommy Saver took a toothpick which she stuck into a Rolo and then stuck down into the ornament (you can see this in the image at the top) which I think is a fantastic idea but why not add more. I mean we can have some simple and plain ones but I love the idea of adding white sprinkles or M&Ms. Or even adding strips with frosting.
It is all about getting creative. For the above pictures you’d loop the licorice rope through a marshmallow or candy ring, leaving some below the marshmallow and/or candy which you would shape the cereal around. I think this is cute but seems like more work. I like the idea of using the licorice rope as a stripe around the ornament.
Any way you make them it is just a different way of making fun Christmas Cookies.